Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

MY THROAT FEELS AS IF IT IS SWOLLEN AFTER I EAT. ALWAYS IN THE SAME AREA AROUND THE ADAMS

MY THROAT FEELS AS IF IT IS SWOLLEN AFTER I EAT. ALWAYS IN THE SAME AREA AROUND THE ADAMS APPLE AREA. VERY UNCOMFORTABLE FEELING. SYMPTOMS ONLY OCCUR AFTER EATING. NO REFLUX OR HEARTBURN PRESENT.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

I am an ENT doctor and can help you

DR HASAN :

Since how long you have this

Customer:

Eight months now

DR HASAN :

Do you have nasal obstruction, nasal discharge, fluid trickling in throat, throat irritation, headache

Customer:

None of those symptoms above but my throat does get quite sore when its bad. I think it is definitely related to eating because I was ill recently(vomiting bug)and not eating for approx 5 days and I had no throat problems then. Sometimes it feels so swollen that it can make it difficult to catch my breath.

DR HASAN :

Have you visited any doctor so far, any investigations done, how you are sure that its not Reflux

Customer:

No tests done...I have tried refllux medications for past few months but they gave no relief whatsoever. I tried to keep a food diary to see if it was any particular food but nothing stood out to me. Was in the pharamcy today and told pharmacist of my symptoms and she said it does not sound like reflux but may be something to do with the oesophageal muscle?

DR HASAN :

Thanks for the details.

DR HASAN :

There are several different reasons for your symptoms like GERD(Not likely in you because of no effect of anti reflux), Sinus drainage problems which can cause this sometime but again unlikely,

DR HASAN :

The other reasons as you said yes they can be in oesophagus or anywhere in food pipe, there can be some stricture or pouch in the oesophagus in the food pipe however a mass lesion can cause these symptoms also. You need to visit an ENT doctor to get the examination and investigations like Barium swallow study, Fiber optic endoscopy etc.

DR HASAN :

If all investigations come out to be normal then a condition called globus hystericus can cause these symptoms. In that condition there is no pathology but pt feel something struck in the throat. Anyhow the investigations will give an answer, but hopefully nothing will be serious

Customer:

Thank you for your help

DR HASAN :

Do you want to ask anything else

DR HASAN :

Click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

DR HASAN :

You are welcome

DR HASAN :

I wish you good Health and Good Luck

DR HASAN :

You there

Customer:

Thank you. I think I will visit ENT to get full diagnosis

DR HASAN :

Good luck

DR HASAN :

Please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery