Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I had a one week history of numbness to an area to my outer

I had a one week history of numbness to an area to my outer right thigh. The feeling is coming back however it is painful to touch (feels like a really bad bruise). It is worse with light touch/contact as opposed to heavy pressure. There is minimal discomfort with walking and activity. I do sit for long periods of time, which causes pain. The pain does not radiate and does not run along my siatic nerve. Any thoughts?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is possible that you are experiencing the numbness, sensitive pain sensation of neuropathic nerve pain due to nerve pinch or strained muscle or superficial thrombopleblitis (infammation of the superficial skin veins). However, considering your history of long periods of seating, it is necessary to exclude any associated deep vein thrombosis (DVT). This can be done with doppler ultrasound of the leg. In addition, such conditions as neuropathy from vitamin deficiencies, or viral infection. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for closer evaluation. In the meantime, I suggest that you use over the counter capsiacin cream twice daily, apply warm compresses to the area twice daily, in addition to Aleve 1-2 pills twice daily with food (Aleve be be better tolerated than ibuproen). Tylenol has not anti-inflammatory property, can help with pain. It may be a good idea to hold on the Tylenol. If the symptoms fail to resolve in 1-2 weeks, or worsen at any time, I suggest that your doctor prescribe you Lyrica or Neurontin to help neutralize the nerve pain.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 8/17/2010 at 1:48 PM EST