khagihara, Doctor
Experience:  Trained in the multiple medical fields for many years.

Dizzy, nausiated, feel unbalanced when walking what is this

Dizzy, nausiated, feel unbalanced when walking what is this and what can I do?
Chat Conversation Started
khagihara :

How tall are you? How much do you weigh? Any weight change? Can you tell me more about your problem? Do you have any medical problem? Are you taking any medications? Any family medical history?

5'4" 186 lbs I have been taking 25 mcg levothyroxine daily but have not taken anything today.

khagihara :

Please continue to talk about your problem. When did it start? Is it constant? Is it getting worse?

I have had this before but it can be as much as 1 yr apart. I believe the feeling of nausea comes because I feel so unbalanced. It is hard to describe. It can last two or more days. I am usually better in the afternoon worse when I wake in the morning. Last time I remember having a bout of this was in January this year but it went away very quickly. I have no medical problems. Generally I feel I am in excellent health. No family history of this with anyone. Yesterday morning I felt terrific. The feeling of nausea started in my morning exercise class but I was better in the afternoon. Today I feel terrible and it is now 3pm here.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Do you feel the room is spinning around you? Tell me about the dizziness. Do you have shortness of breath? Palpitations? Chest pain? Tingling or numbness in the body? Speaking problem? Do you have high blood pressure? Do you have high cholesterol?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes I feel the room spinning around. I feel I do not have any balance when walking. I do not have shortness of breath, palpitations, chest pain, or tingling or numbness in the body. No problem speaking. No high blood pressure. No high cholesterol. I do get blood work done regularly and none of these symptoms arise.
Do you have ringing in your ear? Do you have hearing problem?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No ringing in the ear and no hearing problem
There are some possibilities.
  • Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV): Dislodged tiny stones (cupulolithiasis) in the inner ear cause BPPV. These stones are calcium carbonate crystals that are normally imbedded in a gelatinous mass called the cupula.
  • Vestibular Neuronitis: Labyrinthitis caused by a viral infection is a common condition. Typically, a gradual onset of vertigo, nausea, and vomiting occurs over several hours. Symptoms reach a peak within 24 hours and then gradually improve over several days. Most patients have complete recovery within 6 weeks.
You should see a ENT to have an exam.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What is a ENT? What type of exam should I ask for?
Ear, nose & throat specialist.

• A Dix-Hallpike test: It may be done to help your doctor find out the cause of your vertigo. During this test, he or she will carefully observe any involuntary eye movements. This will help your doctor know whether the cause of your vertigo is inside your brain, your inner ear or the nerve connected to your inner ear. The Dix-Hallpike test also can help your doctor find out which ear is affected.
Additional tests may be done if the cause of vertigo is not clear. These tests may include:
  • Electronystagmography: It attaches small wires to your face that measure eye movements. It looks for the special eye movements that happen when the inner ear is stimulated. The pattern of eye movements can point to the location of the cause of the vertigo, such as the inner ear or the central nervous system.
  • MRI of the head
  • Hearing tests such as pure tone audiometry or audiotry brain stem response testing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I will give this a try.
You are welcome.