Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

Im 36 weeks pregnant and Ive been smoking during my entire

I'm 36 weeks pregnant and I've been smoking during my entire pregnancy. The baby's weight and size is just below normal no doubt from smoking. Seeing as I have less than 35 days to go, is it really worth while giving up? Will it help the placenta or is the damage too far gone? Will my baby's weight and size increase slightly if I give up now?

I can understand your anxiety.

I am happy that you are aware of the hazards of smoking and you are ready to quit it now. Please do not think twice leave the culprit now for you and your child's benefit.

As soon as you stop smoking, your baby will start getting more oxygen so will be much healthier and gain weight as well, and the risk of miscarriage, premature labour, and other complications will fall.

Wish you and your baby well. God bless