Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
28702373

Hi my problem is after oral sex 18months ago I had a tingling

Customer Question

Hi my problem is after oral sex 18months ago I had a tingling sensation in my upper mouth
since the i have had several reoccuring bouts and have been self treating with antibiotics
after approx 36hrs of not taking antibiotics the symtoms come back I wake in the early hours sweating and my upper gum is numb + I have strange taste sensations combined with tingling tongue+ burning at back of throat hope you have an answer as it is messing up my life. Richard
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Doctor Marcus : Greetings
Doctor Marcus : How can i help you?
Customer :

Hi Doc have you read my text

Doctor Marcus : I have. One question i have is regarding whether you have had any cold sores or eruptions on your lips
Customer :

No not that I have seen although did have sore in upper gum about 4 weeks ago

Doctor Marcus : And you mention taking an antibiotic....can you tell me what it is?
Customer :

yes amoxicllin can i also mention stabbing sensation sometimes in inner lip/face

Doctor Marcus : Thank you for the additional information. If there is any possible connection, one possibility that you contracted herpes, which should explain the sore on your gum. This infection can be suppressed with antiviral medications such as acyclovir or valacylovir. It might be interesting to have a therapeutic trial of one of these medications to see if they change your symptoms.
Customer :

is there an acyclovir i can purchase for oral use

Doctor Marcus : Typically, the oral tablet form is used for suppression. The topical version would not be helpful.
Customer :

is there a blood test that will comfirm herpes

Doctor Marcus : Yes, there is.
Customer :

I had blood test done and they did not mention anything they were looking for bacterial infection could this have missed

Customer :

a viral

Doctor Marcus : There is a specific antibody test for herpes, which is not something which would show up on routine blood work.
Customer :

if its herpes why would amoxicillin take the symtoms away temporarily?

Doctor Marcus : That is unclear, but it doesn't seem to be having any long term effect to point to some sort of bacterial infection. Based on the symptoms you describe, a bacterial infection would seem quite unlikely.
Customer :

yes that makes sense also my tongue is yellowish in the middle tract I was wondering if thrush could be a possibility

Doctor Marcus : Thrush would be pretty noticeable as a white coating which leaves your tongue bleeding when scraped off. This does not usually cause any symptoms, however.
Customer :

sorry to have so many questions doc you seem to know your stuff/ going back to the onset from the time I gave oral sex to a woman i might add, The horrible syptoms (tingling in mouth noticeably upper roof/gums came on within 8 hrs would this infection be that quick

Doctor Marcus : Please let me know if tnere is anything else I can do to be of assistance.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Please let me know if you have any additional questions.
Is there anything else i can do to be of assistance?