Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

I have pain in the bottom of the foot upon waking up and stepping

I have pain in the bottom of the foot upon waking up and stepping on the floor. It goes away after a few hours. Also, every once in a while, when walking, I can feel a band stretch across the bottom of my foot - it is very painful. What is it? And how do I fix it?

I work on my feet all day...and I am healthy, in shape, and I work out often.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 4 years ago.

Hello!
Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

The most common cause of morning sole pain is plantar fascitis.

Morning sole pain is one of the early signs of plantar fascitis. There is a fascia in the sole of foot which is inflammed. initially it causes pain in the morning which is relieved after some time. Later on the pain is constant and remains through out the day. There are many remedies available.

First of all the orthotic Insoles should be used in the shoes.

Stretching of sole and strengthening of calf muscle can improve the situation in 2-3 months

Strecth the Achilles tendon and sole of foot before getting up from bed

Night splints to keep foot dorsi flexed

Pain killers to relieve pain

extra corporeal shock wave therapy

Surgical measures.

In the initial stage first two or three measures can be adopted.

Your best course would be tol visit an orthopedic surgeon who would be able to examine the foot and make a final diagnosis.

This conversation is open till the time you are satisfied. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.

Do click ACCEPT if you find the answer useful for you. In this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here for you. Clicking accept will not cost you anything. Bonus and positive feedback will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

I would be happy to try and help you.
What more are you looking for in an answer?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like a more detailed response on exactly what I can do to remedy the problem.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for clarifying,

The expert above, in my opinion, did correctly identify the most likely cause of your symptoms--plantar fasciitis, which is one of the most common causes of foot pain in adults.

There are effective treatments that you can try at home first. However, if these do not work, the next step will be to see a doctor (a podiatrist or an ortho who specializes in foot or a family doctor who does foot injections). Cortisone shots can be helpful for this condition along with formal physical therapy and custom orthotics which need to be prescribed by a doctor.

For home treatments you can try the following:

First, do not go barefoot at home. Make sure that you have a supportive shoe or sandal to step into when you first get out of bed and to wear around the house.

Second, there are some stretching exercises in the article that I will provide a link for. Just click the blue link below and search under heel pain due to plantar fasciitis. This article also discusses the same modalities of home treatments I am discussing here.

http://www.uptodate.com/patients/index.html

Ice the foot--use a frozen orange juice can and roll it back and forth under the foot two or three times a day.

Inserts--which you have already tried

Anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen or aleve

It can take several months for this to resolve. If your pain is worsening, as mentioned above, you should see your doctor for further treatment.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks..that is helpful. The link you provided doesn't go to the page you mention.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
What you need to do once you click the link is then search under heel pain.

Once you do that, the search will give you different topics. You want the one that says patient information: heel pain due to plantar fasciitis.

Let me know if it does not work.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about foot massages? Its very painful when I push/massage certain areas of my foot...but it feels like it's working "knots" out...do you think this could be beneficial?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Yes, you can try massage although there have been no studies demonstrating its effectiveness for the condition.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States