Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I have a 2cm soft tissue density beside the ileocecal valve.

I have a 2cm soft tissue density beside the ileocecal valve. As well as fillling defects in the hepatic flexure region and mild thickening of the colon walls from the splenic flexure region to the sigmoid. Have had gallbladder removed and am scheduled for a colonoscopy. Have been dealing with troublesome stomach/bowl issues for 5 years now, extreme diarreah (jelly and mucousy), tiredness, a feeling of not being able to have a complete BM, and frequent stomach aches. What are my chances of this being benign. I am only 26 (though a smoker...)

Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Based on the CT report and your symptoms it is most likely to be Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD) but can never say precisely since a colonoscopy and biopsy would be the gold standard to confirm diagnosis in such a case. That is why it has been scheduled as the next step. Your doctor's wanted to go from non-invasive to invasive tests that is why they did the CT abdomen first and this is the protocol.

The soft tissue lesion in the right iliac fossa can be a previously inflammed appendix, appendicular mass, benign tumors like carcinoids (which would present with diarrhoea, anxiety, palpitations, flushing of the face etc), and possibly a malignant growth of either the cecum or the appendix, but that can only be ruled out on a colonoscopy with biopsy of the lesion.

Certain factors like history of malignancy in the family, genetic, dietry and life style can all lead to assumptions and educated guesses, but like I mentioned before it would be required that a formal colonoscopy be done and a biopsy obtained and sent to the lab for histopathology.

Hope this information helps, if it did, please click ACCEPT (Green Button), so that I get paid for my time and effort. A bonus and a positive feedback will be appreciated. Do not hesitate to ask follow up questions, if necessary.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Forgot to mention my paternal grandmother had colon cancer which resulted in a surgery to remove a section. Unfortuately have led a faily sedetary lifesyle, smoke, and am a welder (who wasnt wearing a respiator often until recently....)..... this increases my risk factors right...? :(

Well, the chances of your grand mother having cancer don't increase your risks all that much, I was talking more in terms of first degree relatives like father, brother, sister, mother.

Smoking does increase the risk to colon cancers.

A welder would have a fair chance of not being among the high risk population.

--So I guess, it would be needless to be worried before a formal histopathology report and a colonoscopy--