DR MED MD
DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD

I have a sour taste in my mouth every time I eat or drink something.

I have a sour taste in my mouth every time I eat or drink something. Its makes me not want to eat and I don't know how to make it go away. I was reading an article online that it might be because of pine nuts, and there have been other similar accounts. I was eating alot of pine nuts. I feel very healthy in every way except for this rancid taste that will not go away and its effecting my ability to taste therefore eat. Its been 2 days now, and I just got over being very illl and I'm really hoping there is something I can do to get rid of this taste. I lost everything when my husband left me including my insurance and I'm really hoping you can help me. Is there anything I can take to make this go away?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
Since when you are having this problem?

How much pine nuts you eat?

Are you on any medication?

Any stomach pain, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion , gas problem etc?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I've just recently gotten over being pretty ill, where I was experience heavy constipation crossed with diarrhea, headaches, and fever. I got over the flu and was still experiencing constipation so I starting eating healthier and increasing my intake of probiotics with yogurt and activia, and upped my water intake. My cycle is now pretty regular and I feel really good aside from the taste in my mouth. I went to Whole Foods for the first time a couple of weeks ago and got some pine nuts for the first time to sprinkle on my salads at lunch. The first batch didn't give me any problems, assuming this is from pine nuts. But Sunday I returned for more and after one salad I drank a tea that night, and immediately noticed this sour taste in my mouth, then I ate dinner and the same occurred. Right now I have not ingested anything this morning and the taste is somewhat mild. As soon as I drink or eat something it will be full on sour/bitter/mouth that even after 15 minutes of chewing mint gum comes back. I'm on my 3rd day now with this problem, I'm not taking any medication, but I was frequently taking advil as of a couple of weeks ago, and pepto bismol as of a little over a week ago, to rid the headache and upset stomach. Now, no stomach pain, no diarrhea, alittle constipation but nothing to cause alarm..I'm regular and healthy with bowel movements at least 1 to 2 times a day, a little gas here and there but nothing overwhelming. Since last monday when i started the yogurt the gas has gotten much better. I don't eat dairy since I am lactose intollerant, but the yogurt put me back. Hope all this information helps. I would do just about anything to get rid of this symptom, its just awful. I'm only 110 pds so not eating is not an option:)
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
Do you suffer heart burn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no, no heartburn, just a really sour foul taste in my mouth when i drink or eat anything.I'm only 32 and it seems since I turned 32 I have had more issues. I've also been a smoker and have now cut down to only 1 a day and am trying to quit all together. Even cigarettes make my mouth really bad. Its actually constant pretty much, but when I eat or drink, unless its water it intensifies and becomes unbearable.
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to just answer,

Common cause of abnormal taste and sour taste feeling are GERD- gastroesophageal reflux disease , certain medication , disease of salivary glands, endocrine disease, Dehydration, excessive intake of alcohol or caffeine, Post-nasal drainage i.e sinus infection (sinusitis) or allergies or any gastrointestinal tract infection.

I would advice you avoid pine nuts as small minority of pine nuts can cause taste disturbances.

Drink plenty of fluids and keep proper oral hygiene.

If this persists then you need to get yourself examined by your doctor to rule out various possibilities.

Thanks

DR MED MD, Board Certified MD
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So there is nothing I can take? I just have to live with this? Urgh. I am already drinking fluids and I now have to brush my teeth 5 or more times a day. You say if this persists.. how long if this persists would you conclude that it is more then food poisoning from pine nuts. Its not a taste disturbance, its an overwhelming bitter sour taste that overwhelms my mouth when I eat or drink and stays with me throughout the day. It doesn't come and go, its accompanied by dry mouth and mild bitterness as long as I don't activate it. Is is serious if its more then 5 days, more then 3 days. This is why I don't want to go to a doctor. They will tell me, sorry there is nothing you can do just drink water and brush your teeth? I'd be happy to spend more money if there is something you can advise me to take. I don't have a doctor. I just moved to LA California and I don't know anyone here?
Expert:  DR MED MD replied 3 years ago.
No need to brush five time a day twice is good enough.

If it is due to pine nuts it will go in few days.

If persist you need to get your self examined by a doctor.

Thanks