Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

Can I cut in half amitripyline HCL 25mg Last time I took

Can I cut in half amitripyline HCL 25mg ? Last time I took 25mg and It did not help with my migraine. So I want to take this time a little more dosage. My primary doctor always prescribed for my migraines a treatment of the following and for the last 15 years it has work for me. First I took 2 pills of Midrin and if the migraine continues I take a 3rd one and at bedtime I always take amitriplyne (generic for Elavil) 25mg and the next day I feel much better. So I really want to know if I can take tonight the same 25mg and half of that dose since the pills that I have comes in 25mg. Please advise.

Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

Yes, I don't see a problem there. You can cut the tablet if you want.

This will make the dose 25 + 12.5 = 37.5mg.

Adult doses can be safely increased to 75 mg per day. This can also be increased to 150 mg in a day in refractory cases. However, I would advise that you follow up with your Doctor on this one. As for your question, yes, you can cut the Elavil in half with no problems.