Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

at L5 S1 there is mild diffuse annular disc bulge present

at L5 S1 there is mild diffuse annular disc bulge present wisth a small peripheral high intensity zone/radial annular tear. There also appear to be bilateral L5 pars defects. There only apperas to be very minimal anterolisthesis of L5 on S1 measuring approximately 2 mm. aThere is very mild bilateral facet osterarthritis present. However, there is no significant acquired centeral stenosis. There is mild narrowing of the left foramen due to the very mild facet arthrosis and annular disc bulging. There is also some minimal annular disc bulging to the left foramen. Have had increased pain in both legs with numbness down to both feet am seeing a surgeon in Sept.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 years ago.

Aside from the physical therapy, has anything else been tried for this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes I have had multiple injections in my spine which helped for a little while but not for long

But have you not been tried on any oral medicines?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes cymbalta and now they also put me on lyrica. I have been given pain meds and muscle relaxers but I do not like to take them as they are addicting. My question is now that it is affecting my sleep is surgery an option I am going to the spine institute in September this MRI was sone yesterday I also had one in 06 and 07

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several options in the management of spine disease. Spine surgery has many successes, but also many people with an inadequate response. Therefore, surgery is usually only considered after other more conservative options have been tried and failed. If there is evidence of significant compromise of a nerve, such as with significant focal weakness or numbness, then surgery would be considered more urgently. Conservative treatment options include anti-inflammatory medicines, muscle relaxers, pain medicines, antidepressants (such as the Cymbalta), seizure medicines (such as the Lyrica), physical therapy, and steroid injections into the spine. It appears that you have been tried on these options without success, so yes, the next option to consider would be surgical intervention.