Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

My knee popped out of place when working out. Couldnt walk.

My knee popped out of place when working out. Couldn't walk. Then it popped back in when I straightened it. Now if I curl my leg back to far it will pop out again. The longest it was out was over an hour and it is really sore. What could it be?

Knee joint is dependent on the ligaments mainly for it's stability (apart from other soft tissues like muscles). Your symptoms point to a ligament rupture (likely to be cruciate ligament). This rupture can be old which can surface after some time, even after a very mild injury. An MRI of the knee will diagnose it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It doesn't hurt to walk or put weight on it when its in place. But when it pops out, I can't put any weight on it at all. Quite painful.

These symptoms are typical of the ligament injury. When it gets dislocated than only it becomes painful otherwise it is painless. An arthroscopic surgery (camera surgery) would be able to repair it. You would need an orthopedic appointment, as soon as possible.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun