Dr.David
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience:  Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
6554558

My bood sugar level is 216. Is this pre diabetic, Diabetes

Customer Question

My bood sugar level is 216. Is this pre diabetic, Diabetes I, or II. Can you tell me
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Hello
Is this fasting blood sugar level?
What are the units of 216? Is it mg/ml?
Do you have family history of diabetes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No family history of diabetes. This is a non fasting blood sugar level. I do not

the units of 216- whether is mg/ml. I was just called to say my potasium level was

3.8, which they said was fine but my blood sugar was 216.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.

Level of Blood sugar on waking up with an empty stomach should be normally between 80 to 110 mg/dl.
A random (taken at any time of day) blood glucose level of 200 mg/dL or more is considered as high. Your condition is labeled as Diabetes-II.Healthy eating, physical activity, and blood glucose testing are the basic management tools for type 2 diabetes.
Dr.David, Doctor
Experience: Internal Medicine Specialist,MBBS
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David thank you for your prompt reply to my question.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou for using justanswer.com
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you Dr. David for your prompt reply to my question.

I fell much better knowing this.

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
Thankyou & welcome for your future querries.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dr. David Can you please tell the difference between Diabetes I and Diabetes II

Awaiting you reply

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Waiting for your answer to my question about the difference Diabetes 1

and Diabetes2

Expert:  Dr.David replied 4 years ago.
When the body is producing no insulin - this is Diabetes Type 1.This type of diabetes can be due to a virus or autoimmune disorder in which the body does not recognize an organ as its own and attacks it. This type of diabetes is usually diagnosed before age 40.

When the cells do not respond correctly to the insulin - this is Diabetes Type 2. High blood sugar is a result of this. It is used to be thought of as the adult onset type of diabetes.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I would like to clarify for you how the diagnosis of diabetes is made.

While you may have Diabetes, a random blood sugar above 200 does not necessarily make the diagnosis of diabetes UNLESS you also have symptoms of diabetes, which includes frequent urination, increased thirst, weight loss, increased appetite.

If you are not having any of these symptoms, you do not meet the criteria at this time for the diagnosis of diabetes. Your doctor may want to order a fasting blood glucose to further evaluate you.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your information but I did have terrrible increased thirst and

increased appetite before I advised by the nurse of my sugar level of 216.

My doctor was not in the office but advised her to tell me that I should go

on sugar free diet and low carbohydrates. I have been gaining weight lately

and was constantly told how he would like me to cut down on

certain foods but I had a hard time doing this because of increased appetite. Now I know part of the reason for having this increased appetite and thirst.

I am having a little trouble with my choice of foods so I am trying to get

more information on diet. Thank you for contacting me. I appreciate it.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome.

I just wanted to make sure you were given all of the information.

I hope that you feel better. You may want to ask your doctor to refer you to a diabetic nutritionist.

Dr Abby