Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.
11246089

My blood sugar suddenly went up to 450 and I ended up in Hospital.

My blood sugar suddenly went up to 450 and I ended up in Hospital. I have been put on insulin but sugar has not gone below 230. There is no acid in blood per the tests. What is happening? My A1c has been between 6.8 and 7.4 for the last 5 years.
Submitted: 4 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to just answer and thank you for your question.

No,your blood sugar has already come down below the dangerous level (300mg/dl and above) and is in the process of being controlled. Insulin should now be prescribed as two or more doses of soluble insulin daily.You should also consult your endocrinologist about taking both short acting and long acting insulin to achive greater reduction of blood sugar.

Besides insulin, you should also be taking potassium supplements as well as take natural sources of potassium like fresh orange juice, tomatoes and horlicks etc.

It was a pleasure assisting you.Please press the "GREEN ACCEPT" button to accept the answer. FEEDBACK and BONUS would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Does it mean I will be on insulin for the rest of my life? Why did this happen?

No, you probably do not have to be entirely on insulin if your blood sugar can be adequately controlled but depends on how well you respond to insulin treatment.
If the blood sugar suddenly shot up, it could have been triggered by a crisis like recent surgery , trauma, stress and anxiety etc.

You should also try to control your sugar by following a healthy lifestyle, which includes exercise and diet and maintaining a normal body weight. In type 2 diabetes, the ability of the pancreas to make insulin slowly gets worse over time. This is why lifestyle changes may be sufficient shortly after diabetes develops, but eventually medications and even insulin may be needed to keep blood sugar under control.

Edited by Dr. R. Bora on 8/1/2010 at 5:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks - just a quick follow up - you said "it could have been triggered by a crisis like recent surgery , trauma, stress and anxiety" -- I have not had any surgery or trauma but a good amount of stress on a personal problem to the extent that I woke up in the middle of the night and could not sleep. This happened 2 -3 days in a row before this 450 was diagnosed. Could it be stress only?
Yeah, it can be stress and anxiety only. Stress releases many hormones which tend to raise the sugar level especially in diabetics. Emotionally labile people are especially more susceptible. You can try out yoga for mental relaxation as well as control of blood sugar. Check these links: link1and link2

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: Several years of clinical experience in all fields of Medicine.