Doctor Marcus
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience:  US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
28702373

I have a lump on the lower forward right side of my neck.

I have a lump on the lower forward right side of my neck. I assumed it was swelling of my right thyroid lobe. I had an ultrasound of my neck done and they reported that no action was required. I understand that the ultrasound test came back as no action required but I still want to now the cause of the lump. The lump is still there. What are the possiblities of the cause of the lump?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Marcus replied 4 years ago.
Greetings. Did the ultrasound say that nothing was seen on the thyroid at all or did it say that the lump was part of the thyroid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
All I know is that the report said no action required. What could possibly be causing a noticeable physical lump on my neck that would not require further testing or treatment. I know with the limited information available you may have several possiblities, that is fine. Basically I just want to know if there even are any conditions that would cause a lump on the neck that would not require further testing or treatment.
Sometimes, there can be benign enlarged areas of the thyroid itself which are not a cause for alarm if they have a reassuring appearance on an ultrasound. There can be other benign lumps such as lymph nodes, or parts which remain from fetal development called a thyroglossal duct cyst. Unless these are getting larger, red or painful (signs of infection), no treatment is typically needed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info. I'll follow up on this with my doctor to ascertain as to which of these possibilities it is. I just don't trust that an ultrasound would be precise enough to differentiate between a cancerous or benign enlargement of the thyroid, if it is indeed an enlarged thyroid.
That sounds like a good idea. Typically, normal functioning parts of the thyroid have a cystic (hollow, fluid-filled) appearance where the enlarged parts of a thyroid which are concerning are solid-appearing. It sounds like they probably saw a normal-looking cyst. Of all the imaging tests, ultrasound has the highest resolution for looking at small, superficial structures, so if the swollen area is indeed in your thyroid, another test like a CT scan or an MRI would probably not add much information. The test that is typically done next in an area of concern on a thyroid ultrasound is a FNA (fine needle aspiration) to get a sample of cells that a pathologist can examine, but there are some downsides to this test (pain, bleeding, infection) if it is not strongly needed.
Doctor Marcus, Board Certified MD
Experience: US Trained, US Board Certified MD, Medical School Faculty Member
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok very good. Thank you for the help.
Best of luck to you.