Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

my butt wont stop itching i have been awake all night i dont

my butt wont stop itching i have been awake all night i dont know what to do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Since when is the itching?

Is it around the anus area?

What are the treatment done?

Any diagnosed medical condition?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has been itching for the last hour and a half. And yes it is around the anus.. no medical condition or treatment
Greetings.

This itching and discomfort in the anus region can be pruritus ani which is quite a common condition. It is usually more troublesome at night or after passing a bowel action. Excessive cleaning of the perianal area may exacerbate the problem by removing natural protective oils. Itching in the perianal area can also be associated with the presence of
a) hemorrhoids or
b) anal fissures,
c) infections or
d) skin conditions, so examination by a general surgeon and dermatologist would be prudent if below mentioned treatment are not completely effective.

Following can be helpful:

1) It is important to keep the perianal area clean but at the same time limit trauma and rough cleaning of the affected area. Thus be as gentle as possible.

2) Avoid using soap. Use QV cleanser or aqueous cream instead.

3) Minimize scratching as much as possible as it may make itching worse

4) Use a non-perfumed cornstarch powder or barrier ointment such as Bepanthen to protect the skin.

4) If moisture is a more resistant problem then consider using a male sanitary pad.

5) A mild anti-inflammatory cortisone agent (such as Sigmacort 1% ointment or Egocort 1% cream available over the counter) is helpful in abating the symptom.

6) Dietary factors like certain foods items can be associated with anal pruritus/itching; these are: coffee, tea, cola, chocolate, tomatoes, and citrus fruits. so they should be avoided.

8) A slight fecal soilage is very important cause for the anal itching. If this is a possibility (in your age group this is not very common), sleeping with a baby pad is the answer for it. Though some physician recommend biofeedback or Kegel exercises. The best ointment and helpful measure is a 1 percent hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily with keeping it dry. That should take care of it. Give atleast 1-2 weeks for this treatment as changing the local application cream frequently would not be helpful.

Please feel free for your follow up question.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you don't think its serious enough for me to go the hospital? This itching just won't stop its constant..

This does not denote any serious issue. You can buy hydrocortisone 1% ointment from the pharmacy, which is available over the counter. This should immediately help in your itching. You may consider an elective routine appointment with your primary care physician / GP, if it persists or may go to an urgent care clinic (walk in clinic).

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist