Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

What is a normal respiration rate while sleeping with a cpap

What is a normal respiration rate while sleeping with a cpap? I have been using the same machine for about 2 years and my normal AHI is 4.5 and AI 0.3 last night my respiration went up to 31. Its normally less than 20. Is this cause for concern or just a fluke? I am a healthy 45 year old man 5-11" 215lbs very muscular. The only medical problem is slightly high BP for which i take benicar.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 years ago.

Are you having any other symptoms today?

Does the machine say the duration of the high respiratory rate or only that the maximum respiratory rate was 31?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No symtoms except anxiety because of this and some sinus pressure & headache. I took my BP and it was 138/72 pulse 80.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
only the maximum. Max 31 low reading was 19.

Thank you for the additional information.

A normal respiratory rate is ~20 or less. If the only finding is that the maximum rate was 31, then that is not worrisome. Unfortunately, these machines may detect a variety of activity as respirations, including sniffing or coughing spells. Since you are having sinus pressure, presumably from sinus congestion, there may have been other activities that were perceived as respiration. It is also possible that the sinus congestion gets worse while asleep, which may cause a true increase in the respiratory rate. In general, a single time of a maximum respiratory rate of 31 is not something that should generate concern, particularly if you are not having other significant symptoms. If the sinus symptoms are more significant, then it may be appropriate to be seen. If the elevated respiratory rate becomes more persistent, then it would be appropriate to be seen, although it still may be due to the sinuses.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.