Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have several fleshy skin growth on the inside of the vaginal

I have several fleshy skin growth on the inside of the vaginal (entrance) in addition I have red patches and it feels uncomfortable. It doesn't interfere with sexual activity. I have had tests for STDs etc all negative but just waiting on a viral test. I have had genital warts nearly 20 years ago however this appearance seems different.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

Hi.
Welcome to JustAnswer. I shall try my best to assist you while you are corresponding with me.

The only cause of vaginal entrance bumps that is left are Bartholin cysts, if all others like STDs and genital herpes have been excluded.

A Bartholin's cyst causes swelling of the labia on one side, near the entrance to the vagina.

They are formed as a result of blocked pores of the Bartholin glands which are present normally on the entrance of the vagina and their function is to secrete fluid onto the mucosal (inner) surface of the labia-the lip like skin surrounding the vagina.

When blocked the secretions accumulate inside the glands and they swell forming cysts that can felt as painless bumps on the entrance of the vagina.

They become painful when infected secondarily by a bacteria or STDs, An abscess occurs when a cyst becomes infected. A Bartholin cyst abscess demands an Incision and Drainage with antibiotics if required and preferred by the doctor as a treatment.

The ultimate definitive treatment of these cysts is surgical, called marsupilization, if they are not infected.

This is usually done in an outpatient surgical setting.

It is addvised that you see a OBS/GYN doctor for these cysts if viral etiology like Herpes has been ruled out or if they start bothering you or become red, hot and swollen.

--Best--

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The growths are more like non hard fleshy growths my husband described it like I had grown teeth on the inside of my vagina - they do not appear angry and red or nobbly but quite soft bits of skin. Does this sound anything sinister. I am being retested by my gp for a viral test as this got lost?? but obviously concerned prior to the results coming back. Do I need to be concerned about 'cancer'?
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 4 years ago.

The description you are giving does not sound like cancer, sometimes, keratinization (that is ingrowing of skin) of the non keratinized squamous epithelium of the vagina occurs due to increased sexual intercourse, but to rule out cancer a history or physical examination is never enough, A biopsy of the lesion is always diagnostic.

However, to get the best diagnosis and rule out any differentials, a OBS/GYN should see the lesions rather than a regular doctor.

Carcinomatous growths usually cause a lot of pain and discomfort and also are liable to bleed a lot especially during sexual intercourse. Other than that they are usually hard and firm rather than being soft and fleshy.

I would recommend that you see a GYN/OBS specialist, should be better to make an appointment after you have received the pending results for the viral test. And your description of these growths does not sound sinister at all. So, rest assured.

--Best--

Edited by Dr Uzair on 7/18/2010 at 11:22 AM EST
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.