Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.

sudden sore throat. Feels like theres something stuck in my

Customer Question

sudden sore throat. Feels like theres something stuck in my throat. Small white bumbs 4-5 now on the back of my throat. Right gland swollen. Just started wed nite.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

Do you have fever? Any diagnosed medical condition/ are you on any medication?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no fever. no medical conditions no medications...except clariton & inhalers for athma
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

I can understand your anxiety.

Your symptoms suggest that there is inflammation at the throat. Feeling of something stuck in throat is due to inflammation at the mucosa/ enlarged tonsils and glands. White bumps at the back of your throat suggest small pus collections. The cause is infection {viral most common/ bacterial {I worry more of}}. The other causes like reflux/ dryness at throat/ over use, extra look less likely in your case.

I would suggest you to have a physical check up along with few investigations like throat swab {to see for the causative organism and so can start a particular treatment}/ blood tests to clinch the diagnosis. Treatment will follow which may consist of antibiotic course if bacterial infection is found. We need to control the inflammation and treat the infection sooner and avoid it to spread to larynx {voice box} as you need to use it next Saturday.

Till than warm water gargles {with pinch of salt}, steam inhalation and anti inflammatory drugs relieve inflammation/ have balanced diet and adequate fluid/ warm fluids {chicken soup in particular helps}/ keep your throat wet {water sips help}/ avoid alcohol, smoking/ rest your voice.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. God bless
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a throat spray you recommend for singers
Expert:  Ken replied 6 years ago.

To be frank what we need right now is control of infection/ inflammation. You will need anti inflammatory tabs/ antibiotics for it. Most of throat sprays contain various herbs {with no proven results} as per the claim. Rather I would go in with simple tricks of keeping the pharynx wet so as to avoid irritation and infection.

God speed.