dr.sehr
dr.sehr, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,FCPS,
30923400

My urine smells smokey.

Customer Question

My urine smells smokey.
Category: Medical
Expert:  dr.sehr replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer,
Dear customer,

Kindly tell me do you have any other symptoms like burning in urine ,frequency of urine more then normal or blood in urine?
Is there any history of fever,flank pain ?
Since how many days now it started again?have you repeat your urine test?
Do you have any history of medical disorder like diabetes?

regards

Edited by Sehrana Kousar on 7/16/2010 at 7:33 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have dieabetes in my family.

I do not have any pain when I urinate.

It is dark, especially in the mornings

I've never had blood in my urine.

It's just really smokey smelling, it doesn't smell like urine at all. I'm so exhausted all the time. I'm just worried as this has been going on for over a year and my gp just says its prob a water infection and puts me on anti biotics, as soon as I stop taking them the symptoms return. I have had parathyroid removed over ten years ago and my body had been being flooded with calcium for two years before i was diagnosed.

Expert:  dr.sehr replied 4 years ago.
OK,Dear thanks for giving me information.
Most likely smokey smell in urine would be due to bacterial infection( recurrent urinary tract infection)
and dark color urine is showing that your urine is concentrated.Important is to find out the cause of recurrent infection.
There are risk factors which can contribute to urinary infections(recurrent)in your case.First is that as you have told ,HYPERCALCEMIA could lead to stone formation which may cause recurrent UTI.
Being female you are also at risk as female have short urethra which is predisposing factor.
You also have family history of diabetes.so you should be evaluated for diabetes as it leads to recurrent UTIs.
My advise to you is that you should have complete evaluation which includes following investigation
  • complete routine urine examination
  • culture and sensitivity of urine
  • x-ray KUB(kidney,ureter,bladder)
  • ultrasound abdomen
  • BLOOD SUGAR levels
Get complete evaluation by urologist.
Following would be beneficial for you

Most important tip to prevent urinary tract infections, bladder infections, and kidney infections is to practice good personal hygiene. Always wipe from front to back after a bowel movement or urination, and wash the skin around and between the rectum and vagina daily. Washing before and after sexual intercourse also may decrease a woman's risk of UTI.
Drinking plenty of fluids (water) each day will help flush bacterium out of the urinary system.
Emptying the bladder as soon as the urge to urinate occurs also may help decrease the risk of bladder infection or UTI.
Urinating before and after sex can flush out any bacteria that may enter the urethra during sexual intercourse.

I HOPE IT WILL HELPS YOU
GOD BLESS YOU
REGARDS
dr.sehr, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,FCPS,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you so much. I'll pop to my GP

Jeni Long

Expert:  dr.sehr replied 4 years ago.

OK, Thank you Jeni Long very much for your appreciation.GOOD LUCK.