How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. D. Love Your Own Question
Dr. D. Love
Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 18199
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. D. Love is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Symptoms swollen hands, loss of strength, shoulder joint pain,

Resolved Question:

Symptoms: swollen hands, loss of strength, shoulder joint pain, Tricep weakness
Tests: MRI shows degeneration esp. C-6, C-7...possible nerve pinching: CRP 12.5 H, RA Latex Turbid 3.9
Treatments: Chiropractic, Acupuncture, supplements: fish & krill oil, MSM/Chondro/Gluco,
Univestin, vitamins etc., and Ibuprophen

Question: I have an appt. with a Rheumatologist...what other specialty do you recommend for pain management?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 years ago.

The Rheumatologist is the appropriate specialist to evaluate and manage inflammatory conditions. The assessment of the cervical degenerative disc disease with possible pinched nerve would best be evaluated by a Neurosurgeon or Back Surgeon. Depending upon the findings on examination, it may also require an evaluation by a Neurologist, who can perform nerve conduction studies, or a Pain Management specialist, who can perform injections to try to relieve symptoms, such as epidural steroids. The Neurosurgeon or Back Surgeon would be the appropriate first step, who can then determine what further evaluation would be appropriate.


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I went to a Neurosurgeon who dismissed the Radiologist's evaluation of the MRI, and thought it was Carpel Tunnel S. My PCP disagrees, as does the acupuncturist who has good success with CTS relief. Is there a specific nerve conduction study I should ask for if I look to a Neurologist.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 years ago.

A nerve conduction study of the median nerve would indicate whether there is significant carpal tunnel syndrome, which would affect this specific nerve


Dr. D. Love and 2 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you