Dr.Hussey, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS-1(R). Have been with patients of medicine all through my career

My right hand is swollen and my left is not.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.

Hope I would be of great help to you and will try my best to be upto your expectations .

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Is there any pain?

How long has it been so?

Are you suffering from any chronic disease?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No pain, just swollen.

Recent blood, urin and fecal test indicate nothing unusual other low iron and low vitamine D. I take an iron supplement and 2000 units of vitamind D along with a multi vitamine and calcium supplement. I also take simvistatin daily.

Just noticed the swelling about a week ago.

Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.
Since how long have you developed this complain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
About a week. I do spend several hours daily playing a computer game and use my right hand to activate the mouse.
Expert:  Dr.Hussey replied 6 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I would start by explaining the difference between one hand swelling and both hands swelling. If swelling is present in both hands it means that there is something wrong with any major system of the body which is causing edema in both hands. If swelling is present in one hand , then the problem is not likely to be systemic or related to some major system of body, it seems more likely to be related to the arm that is involved.

You have swelling in right hand with history of playing computer games for long periods of time. The causes of swelling of right hand can be

Rheumatoid arthritis

carpel tunnel syndrome(in some cases)

venous insufficiency

Septic arthritis

Tumor in upper lung

Bee sting

The most probable cause in your case seems to be Tendinitis or tenosynovitis. It is because when we work on computers for long, our wrist is flexed in a specific position for long and the tendons get stretched. However it is not possible to confirm for me the exact diagnosis without examining. I would suggest you to visit a surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon so that he may be able to examine you.

If the diagnosis is confirmed, then you would be prescribed anti inflammatory drugs, to reduce inflammation most likely. I hope I had been a help to you.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Best of luck...Take care.