Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
27991315

Is a hematoma dangerous I have one on my leg and it is very

Is a hematoma dangerous? I have one on my leg and it is very swollen, painful. Because of past blood clots, I have been taken off Warfarin. Is this dangerous.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Under normal circumstances, a hematoma is not dangerous, but it depends on the location of the hematoma as well. If you have a history of blood clots, there's also the possibility that you can be dealing with an inflamed blood vessel, known as a thrombophlebitis. This is a condition that warrants medical attention, so I suggest that you see your physician. Depending on the location of the blood vessel, treatment can range from warm compresses and pain medication to blood thinning medication. Tests can help determine the underlying cause, which can guide appropriate treatment. I hope this information is helpful for you, and I wish you well. Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What is the difference between a blood clot and hematoma? I bruise easily and today my INR today was 5.1. Does that put me more at risk?

A blood clot is formed in an attempt to stop bleeding by the body. It consists largely of red blood cells and platelets, which serve to "clog things" a bit to allow bleeding to stop. A hematoma is similar to a bruise, and is formed when bleeding occurs under the skin. It can also occur within organs. A hematoma is more likely to form when your INR is 5.1, which indicates that your blood is too thin, putting you at greater risk for bleeding. The range for a normal INR is closer to 1-2, depending on the medication you're on. Your elevated INR and current hematoma or thrombophlebitis is another good reason to visit or discuss this with your doctor. You may need treatment to bring down your INR a bit. I hope this helps, Dr. Davidson