Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine

I had carpal tunnel release surgery two+ weeks ago. Pain from

Customer Question

I had carpal tunnel release surgery two+ weeks ago. Pain from both the medial and ulnar nerves has continued unabated except for the first two days following surgery, when it was reduced. My doctor has now put me on a steroid pack, and plans to do a nerve block if it isn't successful (I assume a brachial plexus block). I have confidence in the doctor, but would like to know more.

The surgery was conducted with some type of block rather than general anesthesia (which I can't take because I vagal out).

My question is: Is the continuing pain cause by the block that anesthetized me for the surgery, or is it possible that the nerves were damaged before the surgery? I waited far too long to have the procedure done, and had experienced pain for more than a year prior to the surgery.

Just to be clear, my question is simply by way of understanding what is happening.

Thanks for your answer..........melba
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Most likely the pain is from damage to the nerves prior to surgery. I don't think it is due to the nerve block.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How did that damage occur?
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Most common cause of carpal tunnel is from scar tissue.