Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

constant dull upper abdominal pain on the right side just under

constant dull upper abdominal pain on the right side just under and at the front of the rib cage. No jaundice
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just answer!

How severe is the pain in 1 to 10 scale? Do you have fever, nausea, wt. loss, anorexia? Do you feel pain when you press in there?
Any other stomach symptoms such as belching, bloating, acid reflux?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nagging pain around 3. No other symptoms as outlined above. Some belching
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. Based on your information, you don't seem to have any alarming features at this time. Your pain at right upper abdomen could be due to surrounding structures located in that area. Possible organs that can cause this kind of pain are gall bladder, liver and stomach, sometimes costochondritis, trapped gas may cause pain in that location. Overall, scenario favors gall bladder related issues. If you can make it, then having blood test and ultrasound can find out the exact cause. Based on the physical finding and test report, you will be guided further. Overall, your scenario favors gall bladder related issues. As you have only mild pain and some belching, you cal try OTC antacid and see if you feel better. If you don't feel better, it is an another indication that pain is not due to stomach problem. Press green button, so that I can be rewarded for my time with you. It does not cost you more than what you are suppose to pay. Follow up, if you have any other concern. In the mean, you can take OTC pain meds and use heating pad for symptomatic relief.

Edited by Dr. Shah on 7/7/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have had my gallbladder removed 30 years ago
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Your current location of pain is in right upper abdomen. Even though gall bladder was removed, I suspect your ongoing pain could be due to hepatobiliary related issues. I know you don't have any other symptoms at this time, but still I would consider blood test and ultrasound. The way you are presenting is very likely a sub clinical presentation, these investigation will pick the problems in early, which always has better outcome. A very less likely possibility is surgery related pain due to scar tissues, adhesion or hernia.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
You can read more about hepatobiliary causes of right upper abdomen pain from click here. Hepatobiliary does not mean only gall bladder; liver and biliary ducts are also included.Beside this, there are many other possible causes for pain in right upper abdomen, but you don't have any other symptoms to suspect that. Since you have only mild pain, you may choose to wait for couple of days and see if you recover with conservative measures such as pain meds, rest and using heating pad. Pain due to muscle pull, trapped gas are also for shorter duration. If you want to wait and watch, then this is fine too, but if you do not recover in few days or you developed new symptoms such as fever, jaundice, dark urine, nausea or wt. loss then please consider proper evaluation and investigation.