Dr. Haroon Iqbal
Dr. Haroon Iqbal, Doctor
Experience:  18 years experience in all fields of Surgery and Medicine. Vast experience in Emergency care.

I just noticed a small hard lump above my knee cap that I can

I just noticed a small hard lump above my knee cap that I can move back and forth a little. It isn't sore or anything. It's a little smaller than a pea.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Haroon Iqbal replied 6 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer!

What is the color and consistency of the lump?

Any hisotry of truama on the knee?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is under the skin, not on my skin. I walk around 30-40 miles a wk. but no trauma to the knee.
Thank you very much for your input.

Sometimes , a fluid filled structure just in front of the knee cap called pre patellar bursa is chronically inflamed , with or without pain , due to some infection or trauma and the process causes fibrosis and inflammation , making a lump like structure in front of knee.The best option is to take out an x-ray and then apply a padded knee support or a support only for sometimes .If the lump doesn't get cured , the doctor can take out the fluid through a needle or through a minor surgical procedure.So lease see your physician to assess the possible ways to clear the lump.
Hope i have answered your question.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just wanted to be sure it couldn't possibly be any sort of cancer. I assume it wouldn't move around if it were something like a malignancy?
Yes , you are right , most of the malignancies , are fixed to underlying structures , and the malignant lump is mostly painful, rapidly growing and many a times oozing on the surface , associated with rapid loss of weight of the patient.It is not a malignancy apparently , and if it doesn't have any of the qualities, and the possibility of a chronic bursitis are tremendous.I will suggest you to see your physician to assess it and possible treatment modalities.