Dr Brims
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  MD
14307416

I had celiac artery bypass 12/09. It was a birth defect. I

I had celiac artery bypass 12/09. It was a birth defect. I do not have artery disease. Leading up to the bypass I was only able to eat veggies and fruit. Since the surgery the inability to eat complex proteins continues. I get aching in my stomach if I eat meat seafood poultry tofu or wheat and will be up all night. I've been tested for celiacs disease and don't have it. Also gastric emptying test, endoscope, colonoscopy,blood workup all normal
My Gastro doctor is stumped.
Any suggestions?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
Hello,what areas did they biopsy and did they only biopsy for celiac disease?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My Doctor biopsyed for everything he could think of unfortunately I don't know the specifics. I know I was tested for bacteria. The only thing was found was chronic gastristis in one place in my stomach. Biopsy's were taken from stomach to small intestines everything negative other then gastritis in stomach.

After I eat it can be 1/2 hr to 4-5 hours before a symptoms start. Sick to my stomach which I can't describle as nausea my stomach just aches. It feels like my adrenalin is on full speed like my body is in distress. What ever it is I'm getting worse. I tried fish last week for supper was woken up at 1pm in intense aching. Tylenol pm helped with the pain so I could fall back to sleep.

When I am religious in eating only veggies and fruit I get diarrhea and my colon aches pretty bad. When I eat meat poultry, fish, dairy, tofu or wheat it constipates me and will take couple of days to go thru my system. It seems to me like I'm not digesting my food. I've tried digestive enzymes it only makes me worse.

Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
Have they done capsule endoscopy? Did they do an angiogram afetr the bypass.Have they done an angiogram recently?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Capsule endoscopy was done before surgery found nothing. Angiogram will be done end of July as my normal 6 month checkup. I know this may sound crazy but could the diameter of the graft be too small and is not feeding enough oxginated blood to my digestive organs? The reason I'm asking is the first procedure out of 5 (I had 5 stents, many surgeons said they knew what they were doing and did not) was just an angioplasty the doctor went in thru my groin instead of arm to access the celiac artery. He was in the aorta 3 hours trying to manipulate the angel of the artery in order to stent it and was not successful. After the procedure I was in pain for a couple of days the surgeon suggested he may have damaged the wall of the artery. After the pain went away I was eating everything and anything I wanted. Three weeks later the artery narrowed again and the pain and inability to eat returned.
Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
Did you have this pain as soon as they did the procedure?When was the last angiogram and what did it show?What zi want to know is if you had this pain when they did the last angiogram
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There's been so much pain and different kinds it's hard to be specific.

I had a great deal of pain before the bypass. After the first procedure which was just the angioplasty I started to get cramps. My symptoms for the stenosis of the celiac was not text book. But I thought the cramps were something the failure of the angioplasty brought on and was a result of the celiac artery stenosis.

After the first failure pain was constant and each angioplasty and stent procedure the pain got worse with no relief so when I ate the pain was even more intense.

Since the surgery I've never gained the ability to eat and the pain changed meaning the aching started. I know the surgery was successful cause the pain prior was very intense it went away after surgery however there still exists the aching which is intense if i eat the wrong foods.

I haven't had another angiogram since October 2009 which was before the surgery. After surgery my doctor did a dopler ultrasound. and another is scheduled July 30 2010.

Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
Is your doctor (vascular surgeon and gastroenterologist) aware of your current symptoms? Do they still want you to wait for the angio in spite of your current suffering?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Neither doctor seems to be overly concerned since I'm not loosing weight. I just thought maybe a doctor not dealing with this would have some insight that my vascular surgeon and gastro doctor are missing.

Expert:  Dr Brims replied 4 years ago.
I see.The only conclusion I can come to is that possibly the graft is not functioning properly.It may be due to a clot, or may be due to something else.Without an angiogram it is difficult to assess how the blood supply is through the graft.It is possible that there is another underlying pathology, but it is unlikley in the current settings, so I won't put ideas into your head that won't yield anything.I dout that the graft they used was too small, but it might have been rendered insufficient due to clot formation and subsequent stenosis.if you are not losing weight, you could still have arterial insufficiency.The botXXXXX XXXXXne is , you need to have an angiogram to assess the function, otherwise we are all still in the dark on the situation

Hope this helps
Let me know if you have more questions or concerns
Dr Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: MD