Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

Can I take gabapentin 300mg 3x a day along with ibuprophen

Can I take gabapentin 300mg 3x a day along with ibuprophen? if so, how much ibuprophen and in what intervals?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 4 years ago.

Hi regarding your question i want to share with you that you can take gabapentin 300mg three times a day and maximum dose of gabapentin is 2400mg/24hr in patients who have reduced kidney functions they should need to reduce dose of the drug and if you are using brufen along with gabapentin then tab brufen 400 mg three times/day can be used.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer was not in proper English and difficult to understand. Also, name of medication was misspelled, not leaving me feeling as though I received a resply from a professional.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

There are no drug interactions between ibuprofen and gabapentin.
If you do not have any problems taking ibuprofen (no history of high blood pressure or ulcers), you can take up to 800 mg every 8 hours.
The maximum dosage of ibuprofen is 2400 mg in 24 hours.
There are other ways that you can take ibuprofen...you can also take 600 mg every 6 hours.
If you are prone to an upset stomach while taking ibuprofen, I would take it that way (600 mg every 6-8 hours). Make sure that you take it with food.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to answer them for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your answer, but have another question and I am going to certainly approve your answer, offer positive feedback and a tip since this really is a new question, but closely related.

My doctor had also prescribed carisoprodol 350mg. Can I take this medication tonight at bedtime in conjunction with using only ibuprophen during the day and with ibuprophen at night?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
There are no interactions between carisoprodol and ibuprofen.
As you likely know, the carisoprodol is a skeletal muscle relaxant. However, the carisoprodol can make you drowsy....
This is something to be aware of while taking in conjunction with the gabapentin, as the gabapentin can also make you sleepy.

You may simply want to take the carisoprodol at night until you know how you are going to react to it. You can take the ibuprofen at night too.

Let me know if further questions,

Dr Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States