Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Is a colonoscopy necessary for a women 89 years old with no

Is a colonoscopy necessary for a women 89 years old with no previous problems with previous colonoscopies?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

That is an excellent question...I answered it for you on your other open question but will repost it here for you.

Most guidelines recommend that colon cancer screening stop if a person's life expectancy is less than 10 years.
The US preventative task force, which evaluates the benefits of screening testing, recommends that patients over the age of 85 not be screened for colon cancer and those 76 and up not be screened unless risks are present.

It is always an individual choice that should be discussed with your doctor. However, if you have no risk factors for colon cancer, it is unlikely that you need to continue with regular screenings at this point.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions you may have,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!