Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

my feet, legs, mussels in legs and hip joints hurt so bad I

my feet, legs, mussels in legs and hip joints hurt so bad I can harley walk. What could be causeing this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.

How long has this been bothering you?

Is the pain at only certain spots or is it diffuse?

Is it tender to press in any specific area?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the problem with my feet has be going on for about a year and getting worse. The whole foot hurts but the heels are the worse sore, hurt very bad to touch them. The hip and leg pain started about two months ago and getting worst . The pain in my feet, knees and hips are the same but in the mussels a little diffuse. The most tender place to press are my feet

Thank you for the additional information.

The most common cause of pain in this pattern is due to degenerative disease. The precise condition and name varies by the location. Pain in the back of the heel is usually from a tendinitis of the Achilles tendon or a bursitis. Pain on the bottom and extending forward from the heel is usually from plantar fasciitis, inflammation along fibrous tissue that supports the bottom of the foot and inserts onto the heel bone. Inflammation within a joint would be degenerative arthritis, which can affect the ankle, knee, or hip. There are also several other forms of tendinitis or bursitis around the hip and knee. There are other forms of inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis or lupus, but are not as common as degenerative arthritis. Muscle pain can be secondary to the degenerative changes or inflammatory condition, or it may be related to poor rest at night, which is when the musculoskeletal system recuperates from daily activity in preparation for the next day. Ultimately, it would require an appropriate medical evaluation to determine the exact cause, but it would be reasonable to try an over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, to see if it controls the symptoms. It may require a higher dose to relieve inflammation than the recommended dose on the bottle. Like all anti-inflammatory medicines, lower doses may help relieve pain, but higher doses are generally necessary to relieve inflammation. For ibuprofen, it requires 1600 - 2400 mg per day in divided doses; for naproxen, it requires 1000 - 1500 mg per day in divided doses. If this relieves the symptoms, then no further evaluation is necessary, but if the symptoms persist, then further evaluation would be appropriate.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.