IMDR06
IMDR06, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine Physician and HIV Physician
37530465

I HAVE A STIFF NECK THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY.......I WENT TO A

I HAVE A STIFF NECK THAT WILL NOT GO AWAY.......I WENT TO A DOCTOR FOR TREATMENT.....SHE TOOK X-RAYS....SAID MY NECK WAS FULL OF ARTHRITIS.....GAVE ME A PERSCRIPTION FOR A PAIN KILLLER.....MUSCLE RELAXER......AND SAID TO APPLY HEAT TO THE AFFECTED AREA. I HAVE BEEN APPLYING BENGAY AND ASPERCREME TO AFFECTED AREA AND SLEEPING WITH A HEATING PAD AROUND MY NECK. I STILL HAVE A STIFF NECK NOW IN ITS THIRD WEEK. I AM SEVENTY YEARS OLD AND IN GOOD HEALTY. CAN YOU GIVE ME SOME ADVICE ON WHAT ELSE I CAN DO.
THANKS
FRANK PUMILIA
Category: Medical
Expert:  IMDR06 replied 6 years ago.

i would suggest seeing an osteopathic physician who can treat your neck - osteopathic physicians have several techniques (much gentler than a chiropractor) to help treat such problems. you can go to www.do-online.org to find one in your area or if you tell me where you live i can try and recommend one.

also gentle stretching exercises and massage will help however i think you need the aide of an osteopath!

i hope this helps!

dr. sciberras

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I WAS TRYING NOT TO GO TO ANOTHER DOCTOR AND HAVE MORE W.RAYS TAKEN. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO AT HOME.

THANKS FRANK PUMILIA

Expert:  IMDR06 replied 6 years ago.
Another doctor does not necessarily mean more x-rays, that would be pointless. Osteopathic physicians diagnosis with their hands, and don't need tons of tests!

Home treatments other than what you have done include massage, gentle stretches as I mentioned before. Also there is a homeopathic medicine called Traumeel that I highly recommend- you can buy it online.

Best of luck,
Dr. Sciberras