Dr Singh
Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience:  Physician

why does my leg upper thigh go numb with tingling while Im

why does my leg upper thigh go numb with tingling while I'm standing My lower back also hurts after standing for a period of time
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Singh replied 6 years ago.
There are a number of reasons you are experiencing the numbness and tingling. The most likely reason is due to a nerve compression problem, either because of a spinal problem, peripheral neuropathy which can be caused by a number of reasons included diabetes, electrolyte imbalance, thyroid disorder, sciatica, decreased blood circulation in your leg, etc.

I recommend that you be seen by your physician for further workup. You will require some blood tests: CBC, BMP, Thyroid function tests, HBa1c. You will also require some imaging studies including x-ray of the spine and legs with possible MRI, doppler ultrasound, and maybe a nerve conduction study. Treatment will depend on the cause of your symptoms.

In the meantime I recommend that you take a daily multivitamin, drink plenty of fluids, and try to exercise as best you can (especially stretching).

Dr Singh, Doctor
Experience: Physician
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 6 years ago.

How big is the area involved?

Is it on the front/side of the thigh?

Are you overweight?