DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Dear Dr. Oz, I am a 67 year old female who wants to lose weight.

Dear Dr. Oz,
I am a 67 year old female who wants to lose weight. I was doing well until I was diagnosed with low thyroid levels. I gained 40 pounds in 3 months. I need to lose over 100lbs. I am also physically challenged which makes it hard to exercise. I never see any suggestions for people who can't get around too well for losing weight. I have high bp, diabetes, arthritis,depression, and who knows what else. Believe me, I'm now claiming anything else.
What can I do
I want to be healthy,
Ann
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
Hello, the doctor oz who is on TV and radio is not the dr. OZ who is occasionally on this site; however, I can help you with this question if you like as Dr. OZ [our expert] is not on line.
IF you would like, can you please tell me if you are on thyroid medication and do you know what you TSH [a part of the thyroid studies] is?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am taking Levothyroxine 50MG for low thyroid. When I had high thyroid levels I was given a radiaion tablet which caused it to become low.
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 years ago.
ok great so here is your first step.
get your doctor to to a blood test called a TSH.
Things have changed in thyroid management and he/she might or might not know that the TSH level needs to be lower than once though. For example, a value of 2, even though in the normal range, is often to high, reflecting poor thyroid control. Many endocrinologists target a value of 1 or even .8, depending on how the patient responds.
50mcg is quite a low dose, thats 50 micrograms not milligrams or .05 milligrams. You might need a dose closer to 80 or 100 micrograms.
Then eat a diet that is mostly plant food, as it sounds like you are doing. For the best weight loss diet see the book EAT TO LIVE by Dr. Joel Fuhrman.
I know you can't do a lot of activity but slow motion weight lifting with very light weights, multiple repetitions, different muscle groups, just 20 to 40 minutes per week will help build fat burning muscle.

good Luck
Find me for future questions by asking for me in the question title
And to let me know how it goes.
dt
Please click accept to give answer credit. Positive feedback most appreciated. Bonuses most helpful. Answers for informational purposes only.