Dr. Chauhan
Dr. Chauhan, Doctor
Experience:  +26 years exp. Reviewer of top medical journals. Listed in Who's Who of the World.

I have had a fluctuating low white blood cell count for the

I have had a fluctuating low white blood cell count for the past year - starting at about 3.9, recently down to 2.9, up to 4 and now back down to 3.6. I have been tested for HIV, Hepatitis, anemia, B12 and iron deficiency - all negative. The hemotologist looked at my blood and saw no irregular or pre-cancerous appearing cells (but at that point, one month ago, my count was back up to 4 - now back down to 3.6).
My neck also always aches in front (feels swollen). A neck U/S showed no swollen lymph nodes. My stomach area below my breast bone burns often and feels uncomfortable so they have scheduled an endoscopy.
Something must be wrong for my WBC to fluctuate so. I did look out old physical reports and my WBC were always around 3.9 but never as low as 2.9.
Any ideas? I just don't feel right.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Having gone through your description, since we have a swollen and aching neck (in front), we have to discuss with our doctors about a condition called ‘thyroiditis’ which may also cause a decreased wbc count.

There could be other causes which I think that your doctors would be looking into, after a whole lot of probabilities have been excluded. This would include the following:

(a) Lupus and other autoimmune disorders

(b) Chronic viral infection/undiagnosed infection

(c) Hypersplenism

(d) Rheumatoid Arthritis

(e) Some medicines that you might be taking or would have taken

(f) Bone marrow disorders/ leukemia/etc.

Having said that, we might be dealing with GER (gastroesophageal reflux) or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which could be causing for the problem that you have regarding burning feeling below the breast bone associated with uncomfortable feeling. Stress could also play a part in aggravating this problem, as well as in the low counts that we are having.

I hope that this information helps answer your query. Please feel free to inquire if you have any remaining concerns/ doubts, as it shall be a privilege and a pleasure to try and help as much as I can. Best wishes.