Dr  Jones
Dr Jones, Board Certified MD
Experience:  MD-Post graduation.10 years in handling and helping patients.Expert in emergencies and diagnosis.
27521838

I cant sleep due of wheezing. Need to keep clearing throat

I am wheezing and want to clear my throat constantly. Wheezing is worst at night. I do not have any tightness. I sometimes get wheezing in the summer, but never this bad. I have been around second hand smoke for the last month and I am much worse. I can't sleep because the sound of that wheezing is so annoying.

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to just answer.
In view of repeated wheezing, worst at night, exposure to smoke and wheezing sufficient to disturb the sleep possibility; asthma has to be considered. Wheezing is usually related to asthma. Wheezing is one of the common asthma symptoms and is often the reason many people seek care. With wheezing you will hear a high-pitched whistle sound as you breathe through your mouth or nose. While most commonly heard as you exhale, or breathe out, wheezing may also occur when inhaling or breathing in. Wheezing results from the airways of the lungs narrowing as a result of inflammation, making it more difficult for air to flow through the lung.
Severity of asthma may vary and not all patients will show all symptoms at one given stage. Generally a trigger factor leads to inflammation of airway, cough/mucus formation and swollen air way membrane. These all in turn lead to narrowing of airway which produces wheezing sound on breathing.
One should see a doctor if the wheezing is new or if wheezing is not new, but getting worse. So I think you should see a doctor for at least primary evaluation. The doctor may want you to get investigations like chest x-ray and pulmonary function tests done. These will help to confirm the diagnosis.
The treatment offered is generally with combination of bronchodilator like albuterol, inhaled steroids, antihistaminics, oral steroids, cough suppressant and anticholinergics etc.

Steam inhalation can be extremely useful. Avoid dust, chemicals or extreme environments.

Please ask if there are any further questions or if you want me to explain anything.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What I forgot to tell you is that I live in Denver,Co. I find as I am getting older the altitude may be causing the wheezing. Can you have asthma if there is no tightness in your chest. When I am sitting I can breathe most of the time without wheezing. As soon as I lay down it starts.

Expert:  Dr Jones replied 6 years ago.

If you are living on high altitude for long duration then in most cases body gets adjusted and there should not be any symptoms generally. Symptoms related to altitude would be shortness of breath, early fatigue and breathlessness on even minimal exertion etc. You can still have asthma or hyperactive reactive airway with only wheezing. Not all cases present with all classical symptoms. Most symptoms depend on the degree of bronchospasm. Even though wheezing occurs only in lying down position still the possibility of asthma is likely.