Dr. Abid
Dr. Abid, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS(R)

I have upper chest soreness and sore around collar bone area,

I have upper chest soreness and sore around collar bone area, under arms and on sides of neck. Haven't done any workout that would have caused injury. I had been ill with sinus infection but didn't have a cough or anything that would cause chest heaviness. More sore when I bend over. What could this be and how should I treat it?
Submitted: 6 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Please tell me since how long you have this problem?

Any history of redness at the site of pain?

Any past history of herpes infection?

Any history of fever?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No redness but all those muscles are very tender. Sides of neck where there are suppporting muscles or tendons or whatever they are are tight and tender. No history of herpes . No fever, even when I first got the sinus infection. I first started with the sinus infection about 3 weeks ago. I am a type 1 diabetic so it has taken me two rounds of antibiotics (which also has given me heartburn and diarrhea) to get rid sinus infection. I do physically feel more energetic than I did in the midst of sinus infection but this has taken its toll on me. I also am in stage one of Frozen Shoulder. (about 3 mos into shoulder issues, going to physical therapy)
When I bend over, I definitely feel more pressure on those upper chest muscles and almost a twitchy tightness in the front and side neck muscles.
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for info after your history it seems that you have nothing but just a muscle spasm that is giving rise to this pain and specially when you bend down you feel more pressure over chest you have no cough,fever or redness along with all these symptoms muscular spam is the likely diagnosis i will suggest you to take muscle relaxant tab tizinidine 2 mg three times a day along with tab brufen 400mg three times a day for 5 days and do physiotherapy of shoulder area you will get better and dont worry.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. Since tizinidine is by RX only, is there something I can buy OTC to take with the motrin to help? And this is really across both areas of chest, muscles group in both arm pits and up by collar bone and around neck....this is all spasms? Does ice or heat help and what will eventuallly stop the spasms?
Expert:  Dr. Abid replied 6 years ago.

Well you should take tab brufen 400 mg three times a day or tab aleve 220 mg two tablets twice a day and apply heat that will be soothing in place of tizinidine you can apply locally brufen gel before going to bed in addition to that dont lift heavy weight with this arm,dont put strain over arm and physiotherapy is very helpful.

Edited by Dr. Abid on 6/27/2010 at 2:49 PM EST