Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

I have bumps on the back and side of my tongue, they feel like

I have bumps on the back and side of my tongue, they feel like they go down my throat area, they hurt very bad to swallow, they feel a little swollen. It is getting too painful to swallow, they look red but not quite sure. I already take a valtrex a day, so I wouldn't think it could be a form of herpes, it has been going on for a week now, this is the 2nd time this has happened. What could it be & how can i treat it. I am unable to sleep right now due to this. Please Help!!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. How large are those bumps? Any recent illness?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I didn't get to see the answer, it just took me straight to here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
these bumps are not very big, there are just multiple bumps on the back of my tongue & side of my tongue. Yes, I just got over a sinus cold with a lot of coughing up phlem.
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

It sounds to be inflammation or infection of the papilla of the tongue. This can occur from infection like bacterial, viral or yeast like candida infection. When you are taking valtrex it is unlikely to be viral. Aphthous ulcer can also be a factor. Deficiency of iron or B vitamins are causative factors too. You need to have an examination by doctor to find out the precise cause. Sometimes after antibiotic therapy, fungal or yeast growth can occur. In fungal infections yogurt with lactobacilli can be helpful. B vitamins can be taken too. Take bland diet, avoid hot & spicy ones.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wasn't on no antibiotic for my cold, so do you think it is bacterial? What can I do now to help me sleep?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
I think it is likely to be fungal or deficiency states which are more common here following an illness. Now, you can try antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin to reduce the pain & inflammation.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience: 25 years of clinical experience