Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Drinking water makes me cough. Nothing else, just water.

Drinking water makes me cough. Nothing else, just water. Why is that?
Submitted: 6 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that your coughing after drinking water is due to the fact that you are not use to drinking water, and so your throat gets unusual or unaccustomed stimulation from water or psychological aversion (dislike) which can trigger cough reflex.This would likely resolve with time, as you get use to drinking water. I suggest that you continue regular exercise, low carbohydrate, low fat and more protein diets. In addition, I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for routine close evaluation to exclude any other underlying condition that may be contributing to this problem including pre-diabetes/diabetes, thyroid problem or any throat problem.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.