Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience
9324755

What causes an orange coating on the tongue Have been feeling

Customer Question

What causes an orange coating on the tongue? Have been feeling unwell for 3 weeks with headaches, dizziness, nausea and last night had itchy skin all over and felt very flu like and tired (no temperature though) and this morning I have an orange coated tongue. Could you give me some ideas as to what all these symptoms are please.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.

Greetings,

Sorry for the problem.
Please let me know a little more about the symptoms to answer you better. Did you take any colored food? How is the color of the eyes, skin & urine?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. No I have not had any coloured food. My eyes are the right colour, no jaundice signs, my skin is not jaundiced and my urine appears a normal colour
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the input.

I shall try my best to explain the condition. Often this is due to colored food or medicine. In some cases it can be due to fungal infection though usually it causes white or grey color. You need to observe it. Blood mixed with coating can give altered color. You can try yogurt with lactobacilli in it. This can correct the flora of the mouth & help with fungal infection. If the problem persists a review by doctor should be taken.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish your healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for that advice but I do wonder why I have been feeling this unwell for over 3 weeks now. I also have a vile taste in my mouth as well as the orange coating - could this be caused by a bacterial infection?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
How many days back did you visit doctor? Did you have any test?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
3 days ago and had no tests. She said she thought I had a virus as she could see by my eyes when she tested them going side to side that they were flickering slightly which proves my balance was disturbed ( have been feeling dizzy and lightheaded for 3 weeks) and to come back again in 2 weeks to see if things had settled down. I did not have the orange tongue and vile taste in my mouth when I saw her. I have had no anti biotics. Does acid reflux cause an orange tongue?
Expert:  Dr Su S replied 4 years ago.
Vile taste can be due to a few factors. It can come from an infection in the respiratory tract like in sinus, pharynx, or lungs. Reflux can also cause change of taste. But it will not cause other symptoms of dizzy feeling,headache or flu like symptoms. You can visit doctor again as you are feeling worse. Some tests like blood counts, throat swab etc can be taken, if he thinks.

Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.