Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My urologist has told me he needs to stretch my bladder as

My urologist has told me he needs to stretch my bladder as it is too small. I don't understand exactly what this entails. Can you tell me? And is it safe?

There are two types of stretching procedures. The doctor can stretch the entire bladder or the opening of the bladder, although it sounds like the intention is to stretch the entire bladder. Each type of procedure is used for different types of problems, which are indicated by the history and physical and the findings of the urodynamics. Stretching of the entire bladder is usually done simply by filling it with water to distend the bladder. Stretching the opening can be done with a tube or balloon. Stretching can be painful, which is why people are provided anesthesia for the procedure, but it is otherwise quite safe. There is no procedure that has no complications, though, and it is possible to develop an infection related to the procedure and some people may notice worsening symptoms for a coupe of days before the symptoms start to improve.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does this procedure require hospitalization? How long does it take to recover from this procedure? After the procedure do you still need to take medication?

The procedure is typically done as an outpatient. Recovery from the procedure usually is only recovery from the anesthesia, unless you are one of the people that get worsening of symptoms, which may take a couple days to resolve, as noted above. Whether you still need to take medicine depends upon how successful is the procedure. People that get a good response may not need to take further medicine. People that get a partial response may still need medicine, but may find that the medicine is more effective or that a lesser amount may be necessary. There are some people in whom the procedure does not help and will find that they need to continue medicines.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Is the procedure you list called augmentation cystoplasty or is that another procedure?

If a different procedure what recovery time does it require?

Augmentation cystoplasty is a different procedure, although it is also performed to increase the capacity of the bladder. An augmentation cystoplasty involves using tissue from another organ, such as the intestine, to surgically enlarge the bladder. This is a more extensive surgical procedure and requires an inpatient stay for several days and several weeks to several months of recovery time. Since it is a surgical procedure, it also has a higher rate of complications, including infection, bleeding, perforation, or incontinence, as well as complications from the donor site. such as bowel obstruction, diarrhea, or absorption problems if there is an intestinal site used.