Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

What is the medical term for what call SOFT PETER How is it

What is the medical term for what call SOFT PETER? How is it taken? Can it produce permanant impotence if taken for a long period of time?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 years ago.

Do you mean saltpeter?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I only know that this is something used to prevent erections. I was told that this product

was used in the millitary during war times. I don't know whether the term is soft peter or salt peter.

The term is saltpeter, also called saltpetre, but the perception that it causes impotence is largely a myth. The chemical term for saltpeter is potassium nitrate, although there is also sodium nitrate that is referred to as Peru saltpeter. It has been used for years as a critical ingredient for gunpowder and as a food preservative, such as preserved meats. It is a common misperception that it can contribute to impotence or suppress the libido and it is a legend that the military routinely added it to the food for this property, but there is no evidence for this either.