Dr. Monica
Dr. Monica, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced U.S. Primary Care Physician treating children, adults, pregnant women, and the elderly.

what is the meaning of small retroperitoneal lymph nodes

what is the meaning of "small retroperitoneal lymph nodes in the prevertebral space"
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Monica replied 6 years ago.

Retroperitoneal lymph nodes means the lymph nodes are in the retroperitoneal area, which is an area behind the intestines in the back of the abdomen. The prevertebral space just means the area in front of the vertebra of your spine, and is just another way to detail the area the lymph nodes are in.

If they do not mention that the lymph nodes are enlarged in anyway, then this finding can be completely normal. Lymph nodes are found all over the body and are a normal part of the "drainage system" of the body.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if I can clarify anything.

Dr. Monica