Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have a burning sensation in my chest on the right side. comes

Customer Question

I have a burning sensation in my chest on the right side. comes and goes. sometimes very raw/gnawing feeling. not really pain, but almost. i thought maybe shingles. i have a rash on my chest that i've had for years. little pimples that come and go, usually from sun exposure or after sun exposure. i've had the chest burning sensation a few years ago, and it went away. i would get it once in a while, but this is the worst case i've had. lasted about 2 months, and it seems to be getting more frequent. i don't know if the rash and the pain are related. never really thought they were. until i was picking at the rash and felt the same kind of tingle. i also thought maybe cervical disc compression? went to chiropractor, and the adjustment seemed to reactivate the sensation in my chest. also, some muscle trigger points in my back and shoulder can trigger the burning. i'm definitely under a lot of stress, so it's undoubtedly related to that. just trying to target the root, so i can treat it. any help would be appreciated!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is appears that you are experiencing the rash, chest burning pain, discomfort and tingling sensation complications of herpes zoster virus (Shingles) reactivation with neuralgia pain. Conditions that can cause the reactivation of Shingles with these symptoms include reduced immune defense, sunlight exposure, nerve irritation, and stress. Given that this is occurring more frequently, it suggest that you are under more stress than usual. I suggest that you follow-up with your doctor for a closer evaluation and treatment with medication including Valtrex to reduce the frequency of the shingles and carbamezepine, Lyrica or Neurontin to resolve the burning, pain and tingling sensations. In addition, application of topical antibiotics such as mupirocin on the rash to prevent secondary bacterial infection is recommended.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.