Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.

dermatologist but I would like to get an answer..Accutane

Hello. I also asked this question to a dermatologist but I would like to get an answer from a regular doctor as well (unless it is completely not your area). The question is regarding Claravis (generic for Accutane, Isotretinoin). I know there are a lot of negative things it can do to your body. I started taking it (40 mg once a day) but had to stop on my 19th day because I came down with Mono. It affected my liver, spleen and gallbladder. Currently my spleen, gallbladder and white blood cell count are back to normal and my liver is improving but not 100% yet. My dermatologist is going to start me back on the Claravis when my liver is back to normal and he feels it's safe. I'm concerned that part of my liver and other organ issues were partly from the Claravis. Can it cause liver or spleen inflamation or problems like that? Is it safe to go back on it when my body is 100% again?

I would be happy to agree with your dermatologist on this one.

It is entirely reasonable to try the retinoid again - with the usual monitoring of liver function again.

Fir sure you may have had an exaggerated inflammation of your liver with your mono + Clavaris but that is certainly not a reason to avoid it.

Dr Jef

PS - please come back to me on this if you wish.