Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I feel like I have a toothache, earache, neck pain, and jaw

I feel like I have a toothache, earache, neck pain, and jaw pain. My dentist has stated that I have bone loss in my teeth, primarily from grinding. Does this sound accurate? I also have a swollen lymph node in my neck that my doctor does not feel too concerned about and has told me to wait 6 weeks. I am of course scared of cancer.

HI,

Thanks for your question.

Since when you are having this problem?

Do you have one or more of the following symptoms.

Nasal obstruction

Flu

Fluid trickling in throat

Ear blockade feeling

Crackling sounds in ear

Do you feel jaw pain on opening the mouth?

Do you feel ear pain on pressing the ear ?

Since how long you have swollen node, is it pain ful, where exactly it is?

Reply in detail

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I noticed the swollen lymph node about one week ago, but noticed by accident. When I saw my doctor, he stated that none of the cancer characteristics are there because it's mobile, tender when he is digging into it, and rubbery instead of firm. The jaw, tooth, and neck pain I have had for the last 3 days. This pain is more on the right side and the swollen node is on the left. I also have herniated disks in my neck that I take an anti-inflammatory for everyday. For some history, I had a nodule in my lung 1 1/2 years ago, and it turned out to be nothing, but has scared me since. I asked the doctor to do a chest xray when the node was found this time and it came out clean as well

I have a bit of a runny nose, but nothing severe. I live in AR, so allergies are a constant, but mine aren't severe at all. I also have a small cough, but overall feel fine (no flu type symptoms). I do have some fluid in my throat and the doctor stated that there was a lot of drainage.

My ears have pain, some blockage, but more just a pain, almost throbbing. I do have some ringing in them, but seldom. There is not any crackling. The doctor did not see an infection in them though.

I feel some jaw pain when opening my mouth and doign this makes my ears crackle some, specifically on the left side.

No ear pain when pressing on the ear. If I press on the front of my throat though (to where you can feel the pulse, it is extremely tender)

I do feel pain in the swollen node when it's firmly pressed on or moved around. When firmly pressed on, I can feel the pain shoot all the way up that side of my face. It hurts my head, my eye, my ear. I've only noticed the node over the last week and noticed it by accident. If I just barely move it around, it's not painful.

Thank you so much for your quick response, I'm truly worrying myself and likely for no reason, but need additional reassurance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You also asked where the node is....and I didn't answer, my apologies. It is on my lower neck, below the ear.

Thanks for your reply.

I will answer your concerns one by one for your better understanding.

I have a vast experience of dealing enlarged nodes in neck, so in my opinion cancer is the last thing i will think in your diagnosis because tender lymph nodes very very rarely prove be cancerous.

The pain you have and nodes you have seems to a result of your sinusitis and with resultant teeth problem. The teeth can get involved in sinusitis or vice versa. The pain is like so because of common nerve supply.

The doctor you need to see is ENT consultant.

He will go for the following to investigate

Nasoendoscopy

Xrays/ ct scan of the sinuses

culture of the secretions

This problem can be overcome by medicines such as xylometazoline nasal spray, steroid nasal spray, antibiotics and antihistamine. you can start using them because antibiotics you are already using and others can be obtained OTC.

If it donot respond second option is endoscopic sinus surgery.

Lymph nodes if persist even after this will need investigations like FNAC.

I hope this has answered your question.

Best of luck with lot of prayers

Get well soon

Dr Hasan