Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS

pain in left rib cage and shoulder. shortness of breath including

pain in left rib cage and shoulder. shortness of breath including some chest pain. had these problems on and of since having pleuricy 2 years ago
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JA!
When does the pain comes? at rest or on exertion or walking?
Is it associated with backpain or neck pain?
Any other Medical Condition like diabetes or hypertension?
Have you been checked to heart and spine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
my symtoms accure more often when active they are easier when resting.i am on lansoprazole for neck pain due to difficulty in swallowing.I have no back pain.I am on tablets for high blood pressure.I have been checked for heart but not spine
Expert:  Dr.Saleem replied 6 years ago.

The symptoms of chest pain and shortness of breath which increase on exertion and relieve or lessen at rest are a feature of heart disease and should be checked for espacially at this age of yours. High blood pressure is also a risk factor for heart disease. Should be checked with EKG and if needed Echocardiography and CT angiogram.

Problems of spine can also cause pain due to compression of nerves leaving the vertebral column or back bone. So pain in neck and shoulder can be feature of cervical spine problems like spondylosis or disc herniation. similarly pain in ribs can be a feature of spine problems at the thoraccic level. Such pains also increase with the movements. and can be checked with physical examination by an experianced physician and good Xrays. and treated with pain killers and muscle strenghtening exercises.

If the pain is related to the movement of left shoulder then this might be a problem with shoulder joint and surrounding muscles.