Dr Anil Kumar
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience:  M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

I cut my pinky finger. Do I need stitches?

I cut a chunk of flesh off the tip of my pinky finger. I can see the fat. Do I or can I get stitches for this?

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Anil Kumar replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com and thanks for your question.
When was the incident happened?
Is it large, deep cut, more than one inch in length?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The incident occurred yesterday afternoon. It is a deep cut. The chunk of flesh that was cut off was roughly 1 cm in radius (2 cms total in diameter) and 1 cm in thickness.

Only fresh, new cuts and wounds can be sutured.
After 8 to 12 hours, the wound is contaminated with bacteria and the chances of infection are much higher.
Physicians do not suture a cut if it is more than 8-12 hours old.
As you have seen by your doctor so dressing is enough.

Sometimes medical glue (something like a superglue but sterile) may help.

Even you may need a tetanus shot (if you have not had one in the last 10 years) and you may need to be on an antibiotic to reduce the risk of infection.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My pain seemed to be manageable with the Extra Strength Tylenol, taken every 4 hours. However, it's throbbing right now. Why might that be? I've taken every caution to keep it clean. Could it somehow gotten affected without my knowing it? Should I ask for antibiotics?

Well there may be possibility of inflammation on affected area so if your pain is not relieved with Tylenol then you should take OTC Motrin.
If your symptoms not relieve then you may need to undergo a clinical examination by your doctor and you may require antibiotics as well.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not sure if i mentioned this but the cut was deep enough that when the chunk of flesh came off, you could see the fat in my finger. Am I to wait for the skin to regrow to fill up that entire gap? How long could this take?

Well most of wounds get heal in 1-2 weeks.
You should change dressing either daily or on alternate days.
Take Motrin to relieve inflammation and pain.
Take Multivitamin supplement which helps in fast healing.
I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you think any nerves have been damaged? Are there nerves on the tip of my finger that have been damaged, that could be causing the pain?

Damaging the nerve can cause numbness on the side of the finger supplied by the nerve.
As you have no associated numbness so it is less likely that there is any involvement of nerves in your case.
Dr Anil Kumar, Doctor
Experience: M.D with over 30 years of experience in practice.