Jef Burk
Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.

In February i had double break and dislocated my ankle at football.

In February i had double break and dislocated my ankle at football. i have had it pinned and plated. i have started my rehabilitation and now my ankle pops by the mallus bone and i feel i need to put it back into place.

what is it i have done and what can be done to cure it?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Is your surgeon happy that your ankle joint is stable?

Dr jef

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i guess the answer is yes as i have no more appointments with the hospital.

i have the pins and plates still insitu.

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Good

I suspect than that what you are feeling is just normal post fracture pain.

With this type of severe injury it can take a minimum of 12 months to recover normal function and to be free of pain - sometimes longer.

All you can do is limit your activity as the pain allows and let the healing complete.

You may consider taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen - this would provide some relief.

Dr Jef

Please get back to me if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did wonder if it was anything to do with the tendon or ligament that runs in a"channel" by the mallus bone and that it was this that was popping out? I didn't mention that it is on the outside of my ankle/foot.

if this was a possibility what would be the consequences.

i do already take ibuprofen but only on short courses as i am alos a diabetic.

Expert:  Jef Burk replied 4 years ago.

Hi

For sure you will have had a complete rupture of the talofibular ligament complex when you had your injury - however this would have been repaired at the time of your surgery and check by your surgeon thereafter- if this was not then the main symptoms would be " going over" on your ankle.

Dr Jef

Jef Burk, Doctor
Experience: MBBS. I've been teaching,practicing and learning since 1985.