Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

My brother has Hepatitis C, he recently had a count of 65,000

My brother has Hepatitis C, he recently had a count of 65,000 on his white platlets. What does that signify?

Welcome to Just Answer;

This (65,000 platelet count) is low platelet level. Low platelet level carries increase risk of bleeding. Chronic hepatitis C can cause low platelet count through one or more of the following means: hepatitis C can destroy some of the liver structures and increase the pressure in the surrounding blood vessels, and spleen - with the net effect of some platelet destruction; hepatitis C can stimulate the autoimmune reaction to destroy platelets, and finally the hepatitis C virus can directly infect the platelets. Treatment of hepatitis C with alpha interferon can reduce the low platelet of hepatitis C. In general, normal Platelets count is between 200,000-400,000 count/ml of blood. If the platelet level goes lower than 50,000 platelets/ml, patient is at increased risk of bleeding with injury. When the platelat count goes further below 20,000 count/ml there is even greater risk for bleeding, and levels below 10,000 count/ml there is much risk for spontaneous bleeding which is life threatening.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Edited by Dr. Stan on 6/6/2010 at 2:23 AM EST