Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

I have a burning sensation in my left breast and its scary.

I have a burning sensation in my left breast and it's scary. I have had a mammogram just two months ago and they said everything was normal, what could be wrong, I'm scared.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Can you describe the pain more? Do you feel pain when you press on your left breast? Is the pain constant?

Do you have any other medical conditions?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have high blood pressure. borderline diabetic, borderline glaucoma. For the past two days it's constant when I press up against my breast (lying down) and just sitting, it starts. These sensations use to come and go for years now it stays constant.

Expert:  Dr Wu replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Based on the quality of the pain, and the fact that you just had a normal mammogram 2 months ago, this pain most likely does not originate from your breast tissue. In other words, breast disorders such as cancer or cysts are unlikely.

The fact that this pain is made worse by pressing on the chest wall suggests that it is related to your chest muscles. There is a condition known as costochondritis. Costochondritis is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). It causes sharp pain in the costosternal joint - where your ribs and breastbone are joined by rubbery cartilage. Pain caused by costochondritis can be quite severe. Sometimes simply taking in deep breaths can cause pain.

I would recommend that you take an over the counter antiinflammatory such as motrin 200mg three times a day(please take with food). If you continue to have pain, talk to your doctor about doing blood tests to rule out rheumatologic disorders which can cause persistent symptoms.