Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have a burning sensation in my right lung. This starting

I have a burning sensation in my right lung. This starting happening 4 days ago. Im not coughing but I have yellowish and brownish mucus in the morning. sometimes when i sneeze I have a little pain my lung. Im a smoker. I was smoking a pack before this was happening. Now I decreased it to 8. I have a little breathing problem. when I breath it feels like the air gets stuck in my chest and I have to yawn to have a a good breath.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Have you had any fever?
Is the burning in the front of the chest? Back? Side?
Any nasal congestion or drainage?
Sore throat?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well... I have no fever. no nasal congestion or drainage. a little bit of sore throat and dried lips.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

I wonder if lung cancer is a concern of yours...first I would reassure you that this does not sound like it and you are young for it to develop.
Cough with brown or bloody mucus would be one presentation.
Shortness of breath is another presentation.

Your symptoms sound like it may be one of several things.
First is pleuritic chest pain. This is due to inflammation of the two layers that line the lungs. It can be due to viral illnesses (which may be what is going on given your symptom of sore throat). Treatment for this is with anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen.

Second possibility is muscle strain

Third, if the pain is in the front of the chest near the breast bone, is costochondritis. This is inflammation of the cartilage/rib joint. Often also viral. Treatment is anti-inflammatories as well.

Fourth is referred pain from the abdomen (gallbladder, for example)

Fifth is early pneumonia or other infectious process.

Without being able to examine you, it is hard to tell you exactly the cause.
I would try ibuprofen for the pain and I would see your doctor for an exam and possibly a chest xray as well.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further with you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Im having a shortness in breathing for couple of years already.this burning is nothing I had in my entire life... As you said I better go and see a doctor just to be sure.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I would have it checked out.
A chest xray is a good idea if you have had shortness of breath (although likely smoking related) and because the burning is of new onset.

Also, watch for any rash. You are young, but burning can precede the outbreak of shingles.

Dr Abby